I have never seen the ductwork wrapped in burlap sacks before. The woman who has owned the home for almost 30 years said a man was selling this as a good way to insulate the ductwork about 20 years ago.
This IR Photo shows an overheating electrical receptacle and wire in the wall. The receptacle did not appear to be damaged at first but after seeing this with my IR Camera it was clear that there was a problem that could lead to a fire if not corrected.
During a recent home inspection I noticed that the Front Room was significantly warmer that other parts of the home so I check the walls with my IR camera. I was not at all surprised to find that the walls did not appear to have any insulation in them since the home was built in the 60s.
The home was recently “flipped” and as I was scanning the rooms with the Infrared Thermal Camera I noted an odd “cold” area in the wall. Cold areas like this tend to be signs of moisture in the wall and this was no exception. Checking the area with my moisture meter I found moisture levels exceeding 30%. When I looked to see what was on the other side of the wall I found a newly remodeled bathroom. It is unknown if the source of the moisture was fixed during the remodel or if it was the result of the remodel.
This was just one of many holes that I found in the duct work under a house today. This system was original to the home, built in 1960, and is something I find on a regular basis; old or new. I am sure the critters living in the crawlspace appreciated the warm air, but I don’t think the home owners really wanted to pay to heat a “unconditioned space”.
As I was trying to figure out what this was, I asked the Realtor if this house was a foreclosure; he said, “Yes”. At that point I realized what I was looking at. The previous owners had taped half of a fish in the fireplace to really stink the place up. I have seen a lot of interesting things that the disgruntled former owners do as they are being forced out of their home, but this was a first.
I must admit that lava is the first thing that came to mind when I spotted this with my Thermal Camera. It turns out that the bank had new carpet installed in the house and apparently the installer “forgot” to cut out an opening for the HVAC floor register. There was another properly done register in the room so I can only assume it was the end of the day and he was in a hurry.